[BERG] Reminder BERG Meeting - Wednesday 20th March 2019

Deborah Bruce deborah.bruce at stir.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 07:30:07 GMT 2019

Dear BERGers,

Just a wee reminder about our meeting this week.

Instead of a talk, our very own Jade Hooper will be leading a reading group session around the question:

When is a bite a bite, and why does this matter?
For this session we will be discussing the attached paper by Oxley et al (2019). This short paper is on the topic of dog bites and how these are defined. Please read the paper prior to the meeting so we can discuss some of the issues raised within. Topics of discussion will be led by the interests of the group, but may focus on issues such as - When is a bite a bite and why might this matter? What are the implications of this for research methodologies and outcomes? What does this mean for victims and their families, and how might the physical and psychological implications differ? What can we do about this as researchers and practitioners?
[cid:62928cb0-54a8-41e2-9cf9-e712bd021f9a]

Paper - Oxley, J. A., Christley, R., & Westgarth, C. (2019). What is a dog bite? Perceptions of UK dog bite victims. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, 29, 40-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jveb.2018.09.002

Jade has provided a couple of items (attached to this email hopefully), for you to get your teeth into before the meeting - sincere apologies for that very bad pun!

Our meeting will be at the usual time of 5.30 p.m. in the Common Room (3A94).