[BERG] BERG Spring Semester 2019

Deborah Bruce deborah.bruce at stir.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 13:11:19 GMT 2019

Dear BERGers,

Happy New Year to you all and welcome to the Spring Semester of BERG meetings. For your shiny new 2019 diaries -  our weekly meetings will run from 16th January to 10th April 2019, except for 20th February (mid-Semester). As always, our gatherings are on Wednesday evenings (5.30 p.m.) in the department Common Room (3A94), drinks and nibbles included.

Meetings will commence on 16th January (a week Wednesday) with an external speaker, Dr Ally Palmer, from the University of Oxford, giving a presentation entitled "Ethical questions in orangutan rehabilitation". Prior to her talk we shall have a discussion about "voluntary participation of animals in research", and will be meeting at 4pm in the common room. If you are interested in joining us, please let Hannah know. Ally is doing this work as a postdoctoral researcher working with Dr Beth Greenhough and Dr Reuben Message on the Species and Spaces project at the School of Geography and Environment, Oxford. Ally is studying those animals used in research in Places Other than Licensed Establishments (POLES). This work considers how transposing animal research to POLES - such as farms, fisheries, conservation sites, zoos, and veterinary clinics - poses new questions and challenges for human-animal relationships.

Although we have a few speakers already lined up, there are still plenty of opportunities to present at BERG. Giving a talk at BERG is a great way to practice a talk , fine-tune your presentation skills, or receive valuable feedback on your research, and all in a friendly environment.  If you'd like to share your work with us this semester, lead a discussion, or can suggest an external speaker (local) willing to come along, please sign up for an available date using our Doodle Poll at: https://doodle.com/poll/shw5nppymad8e8b7

(You can also use this link to unsubscribe)

For a regularly updated BERG schedule, follow this link: https://stir.box.com/s/rwzik2tsai3kausdtekqvgayv34otmgt

Here's to a prosperous and exciting BERG 2019!

Best wishes,

Deborah Bruce