[BERG] Ending the year on a high

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Thu Dec 20 14:32:50 GMT 2018

Dear BERGers

It's been another great year for BERG, with three new appointments. We look forward to welcoming Pawel Fedurek<https://www.eva.mpg.de/primat/staff/pawel-fedurek/index.html> and Anthony Lee<https://www.gla.ac.uk/researchinstitutes/neurosciencepsychology/staff/anthonylee/> in January, and Sharon Kessler<https://www.dur.ac.uk/anthropology/staff/research/?id=15971> in June, 2019.

We've had a cracking autumn BERG seminar series ably organised by Gemma Mackintosh, with Deborah Bruce taking the reins for the spring semester. These meetings are such important opportunities for feedback and for networking, and so we offer big thanks to all our speakers, and to the organisers.

Finally, the University's Top Ten of most shared 2018 articles - as measured by the Altmetric score of attention - has just been released, and two BERGers feature.

Dr Liz Williamson (and BES's Boo Maisels) got number one spot

Strindberg S, Maisels F, Williamson EA, Blake S, Stokes E, Aba'a R, Abitsi G, Agbor A, Ambahe R, Bakabana PC, Bechem M,Berlemont A, de Semboli B, Boundja PR & Jeffery KJ (2018) Guns, germs, and trees determine density and distribution of gorillas and chimpanzees in Western Equatorial Africa, Science Advances, 4 (4), Art. No.:eaar2964. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aar2964.
Full-text available from: http://hdl.handle.net/1893/27128

And Prof Craig Roberts was in third place.

Jones BC, Hahn AC, Fisher C, Wang H, Kandrik M, Han C, Fasolt V, Morrison D, Lee AJ, Holzleitner IJ, O'Shea KJ, Roberts SC, Little AC & DeBruine LM (2018) No Compelling Evidence That Preferences for Facial Masculinity Track Changes in Women's Hormonal Status, Psychological Science, 29 (6), pp. 996-1005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797618760197.
Full-text available from: http://hdl.handle.net/1893/27213

Congratulations to them!

Blog posting at:
https://isnews.stir.ac.uk/2018/12/19/stirlings-top-ten-most-shared-2018-articles/

Tweets at:
https://twitter.com/isstirling/status/1075426049859694592
https://twitter.com/isstirling/status/1075389493430153216

Happy holidays!

Hannah

Hannah M. Buchanan-Smith
Professor, Behaviour and Evolution Research Group (BERG)

Room 3A79, Cottrell
Psychology, Faculty of Natural Sciences
University of Stirling
Stirling, FK9 4LA