[BERG] BERG Seminar 19th November and SPRG meeting 16-18 January 2015

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 15:14:00 GMT 2014

Dear all,

We have our very own Becky Leonardi tomorrow – talking about  “Paws for Progress: The effectiveness of a prison based dog training programme on dog behaviour and welfare”

Meeting in the Psychology common room, 3A94, 5.30pm, drinks and nibbles as usual.

Please do come!

Hannah

To sign up to the BERG mailing list new folk must complete the form available here:

You can also use this link to unsubscribe.

SPRG meeting
Dear SPRGers and BERGers

The time has come again for SPRG to plan their annual post-Christmas gathering at The Burn in Glenesk, Angus. For those of you who are new to SPRG, the meeting is a chance for all members to get together in the beautiful surroundings of The Burn, to discuss research that is going on within our group, and of course to walk, chat, play games, eat, drink, and be (very) merry. You can find more details about the venue on their website (http://www.goodenough.ac.uk/the-burn).

We can arrive from 4pm on Friday 16th – and leave 2pm on Sunday 18th January 2015

Lizzie Webber and I shall be organising the programme and day-to-day running of the meeting.

I am delighted to say we already have an excellent programme of speakers. We already have 9 confirmed speakers, on a range of species and topics, including Prof Phyllis Lee (Stirling), and Dr Lydia Hopper from the Lester E. Fisher Center for the Study & Conservation of Apes in Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago, and will present on her research with chimpanzees and gorillas.

There are still some spaces for speakers, and attendees, so please sign up following the instructions below.

Michelle Young, Andy Whiten’s wonderful PA in St. Andrews, will be keeping the spreadsheet.

To make our lives easier, please make sure you reply to the right person!

The costs of staying at The Burn are heavily subsidised by the Charitable Trust, and so remain very reasonable. The prices for this year are £150 for staff (those in full time employment, and who wish to have a single occupancy room – limited availability) and £120 for students, unwaged members, and/or those who share rooms. This price includes accommodation and all meals.

I have had to pay a considerable deposit (>£1000)  in order to secure our booking. To avoid unnecessary bureaucracy this year, by signing up you are confirming that you will pay £60 should you cancel after 1st December 2014, and we are unable to fill your place.

To book your place at The Burn, please let Michelle Young - my22 at st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:my22 at st-andrews.ac.uk>  - know by email that you wish to join us.

Use the subject header: The SPRG Burn meeting
Give your name:
If you prefer a single room (noting additional cost, and no promises):
Dietary requirements:
This statement “I confirm that I will pay £60 should I be unable to attend and my place is not filled”.

Places are limited, so don't miss your chance. In the first instance, bookings are restricted to members and associates of SPRG. However, should places be left unclaimed from mid November onwards, invitations will be opened up to colleagues from further afield. Reply early to avoid disappointment.

As always, there will be a series of research talks given throughout the weekend. If you are interested in giving a talk, please let HANNAH (h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk<mailto:h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk>) know. The success of the weekend depends upon you!

If you have a non-SPRG colleague whom you know would like to come and give a talk please discuss with me – we usually have one or two external folk to spice things up!

I have an extremely busy diary, and would really appreciate your cooperation in making the organisation of the SPRG Burn weekend simple.

In summary

 *   If you wish to come, please send Michelle your name, whether single room, dietary requirements, and the loss of deposit statement.

 *   If you wish to present, please send Hannah your title. Timing will depend upon number of offers, and we can negotiate.
I shall follow up with more details nearer the time.

Best wishes, Hannah, Lizzie and Michelle