[BERG] FW: Research Assistantship - Elephant Cognition and Behavior

James Anderson j.r.anderson at stir.ac.uk
Wed Mar 6 19:08:11 GMT 2013

For info….
Jim

From: Joshua Plotnik <joshua.plotnik at gmail.com<mailto:joshua.plotnik at gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, 6 March 2013 18:34
To: Joshua Plotnik <joshua.plotnik at gmail.com<mailto:joshua.plotnik at gmail.com>>
Subject: Research Assistantship - Elephant Cognition and Behavior

Dear all - would you mind passing on the below research assistantship announcement to anyone you think might be interested? My apologies to anyone receiving this in duplicate, and thank you for your help!

Best, Josh Plotnik
--
******************************
Josh Plotnik, Ph.D.

Research Assistantship – Elephant Cognition and Behavior

Overview:
Think Elephants International, Inc. operates under the belief that research, education and conservation are not, and should not be mutually exclusive areas. We are looking for research assistants interested in these links and in working with elephant researchers from several universities in northern Thailand. Our research program, operated from an elephant facility in northern Thailand (N=26 elephants), focuses on understanding the evolution of intelligence. Our research questions specifically focus on convergent cognitive evolution and the expression of complex cognitive traits in the world’s largest land mammal. As a research assistant, you will be integrally involved in day-to-day research operations, largely focused on studies of sensory perception, cooperation and problem-solving. You will have up-close-and-personal contact with elephants in a safe environment on a daily basis. We are looking only for full-time research assistants willing to commit to at least 1 year of living at our field site in Thailand.

Job description:
We are looking for motivated assistants with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in psychology, animal behavior, evolutionary biology, or a related field. Those with Master’s degrees are especially encouraged to apply. Research assistants will be responsible for running cognition experiments on a daily basis on a group of 26 captive elephants based in Chiang Rai, Thailand, and working out of our research office in the Golden Triangle. The research team also manages several hotel programs that engage hotel guests in our elephant studies, and assistants are responsible for running these experiences several times a week. You would also be responsible for managing our Earthwatch program (www.earthwatch.org/exped/plotnik.html<http://www.earthwatch.org/exped/plotnik.html>), which runs 8 times per year. We are especially interested in assistants interested in science education, as Think Elephants International is largely focused on integrating animal behavior research with conservation education. Assistants interested in science education will assist in all administrative aspects of our current programs, and contribute to the expansion of our education initiatives in the US and abroad.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

•        Live and work full-time in the Golden Triangle, Thailand as a member of the Think Elephants research team

•        Collect and input data, and be involved in data analysis and manuscript preparation

•        Be integrally involved in the design and implementation of cognition research studies.

•        Work at least 8 hours a day in hot and humid temperatures outside and often without air conditioning.

•        Coordinate with the hotel staff on the scheduling and managing of research guest programs.

•        Supervise Earthwatch volunteers and guests in collaboration with the elephant facility staff and management.

•        Organize, design and implement education curricula in both U.S. and Thai schools, under the supervision of Think Elephants’ Head of Education.

•        Understand the mission of the organization to effectively communicate it to educators, scientists and other members of the public.

•        Create informational documents for school administrators, teachers, students and parents

•        Organize data, research and education finances, protocols and curricula using online tools.

Qualifications:

•        Excellent written and oral communication

•        A background in experimental or observational research is required

•        Previous experience working with large animals is desirable but not required

•        Previous experience living and/or working abroad is desirable but not required

•        An ability to work independently and in difficult environments

•        Ability to adapt to novel environments and work within different cultural constraints

•        Willingness to learn the Thai language

•        Knowledge of Spanish, Italian, French or other foreign languages a plus

•        Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills

•        Ability to stay organized, on task, and meet deadlines

•        Attention to detail

•        Self-motivated, but willing to ask questions when necessary

•        Strong computer knowledge

•        Friendly, dependable, flexible and able to work with a multi-national team of researchers and educators on a daily basis

The Package:

This is an unpaid, volunteer assistantship, but certain benefits are provided. Travel to and from the field site from your place of residence and insurance are your own responsibility. We will pay 50% of your accommodation costs, and provide 3 meals a day in the staff canteen. Your accommodation will most likely consist of a single room with aircon, hot water shower, and wifi. We also provide modest stipends for running hotel guest programs and Earthwatch expeditions. Assistants will have the opportunity, depending on their level of participation, to co-author publications that result from short and long-term research projects. Further details of the package will be discussed if candidates reach the interview stage.

To apply for this position, please send a CV or resume, a cover letter describing your interest, experience and listing the names and contact details for three references to Dr. Joshua Plotnik, josh at thinkelephants.org<mailto:josh at thinkelephants.org>. Please also indicate in your cover letter whether or not you have any experience in primary or secondary education and your overall interest in working closely with pre-college young adults or children. More information about our programs and our past research can be found at www.thinkelephants.org<http://www.thinkelephants.org>.

Questions regarding the position may also be directed to Dr. Plotnik.

--

--
The University of Stirling is ranked in the top 50 in the world in The Times Higher Education 100 Under 50 table, which ranks the world's best 100 universities under 50 years old.