[BERG] Animal Research Openness Consultation

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 11:55:17 GMT 2013

Dear colleagues (inc. members of the BERG, Jimmy Turnbull, Aquaculture, and Owen Adams)

Paul Dudchenko and I have been asked to respond to the Understanding Animal Research public consultation on a Concordat on Openness on the Use of Animals in Research in the UK.

The concordat has been drafted by a consortium of 40 organisations involved with life sciences in the UK (which includes broad representation, e.g. pharmaceutical companies, research councils, BIS and animal welfare organisations). It sets out four commitments which signatories will make. These are:

 1.  We will be clear about when, how and why we use animals in research
 2.  We will enhance our communications with the media and the public about our research using animals
 3.  We will be proactive in providing opportunities for the public to find out about research using animals
 4.  We will report on progress annually and share our experiences

The consultation closes is 16 December 2013 and is in the form of a survey. Full details of the consultation are available here http://www.understandinganimalresearch.org.uk/policy/concordat-on-openness-on-animal-research/concordat-public-consultation/.

The response questionnaire is to be completed by individuals rather than groups, and hence I shall respond as an individual. In case you are interested, in a nutshell - I am very supportive of the principles of the concordat, but I am not clear of the mechanism to get people to commit and adhere to them. I expect the devil will be in the detail, and will suggest templates are put in place to ensure consistency in reporting.

There are some 66 questions with Likert scale responses, plus space for open comments. If you have views, please complete the questionnaire yourself (I suggest you get the coffee and biscuits to hand first!).

Best, Hannah

Recently launched: http://marmosetcare.com/

Hannah M. Buchanan-Smith
Professor, Behaviour and Evolution Research Group
Psychology, School of Natural Sciences
University of Stirling
Stirling, FK9 4LA
Scotland
Tel: 01786 467674
Fax: 01786 467641
E-mail: h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk<mailto:h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk>
Home page: https://rms.stir.ac.uk/converis-stirling/person/11925

--
The University of Stirling has been ranked in the top 12 of UK universities for graduate employment*.
94% of our 2012 graduates were in work and/or further study within six months of graduation.