[BERG] Animal welfare student scholarship meeting, 7th December University of Cambridge, and BERG

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Mon Oct 17 17:13:59 BST 2011

Please find attached details of the UFAW animal welfare student scholarship meeting, with many interesting talks.
This is a free meeting, but it is important you let Steve know if you plan to go to it (see message below).

It's a packed week:

On Wednesday we have Dr Jim Anderson with a presentation entitled: Monkeys judge reciprocity between humans
5.30pm - in 3A94, Cottrell Building.

On Thursday we have Dr Susanne Schultz (Oxford University) presenting on: Investigating evolutionary trends in brain size and architecture (4pm, 3A94)

Later on Thursday Prof Andy Whiten (St Andrews University) is talking at Edinburgh Zoo (7.30pm) in the Living Links to Human Health, Mind, and Medicine lecture series

20th October 2011 - "Culturally transmitted information, nutrition and health in the great apes" by Professor Andrew Whiten, University of St Andrews.  Professor Whiten is Scientific Director of the Living Links Centre and an international authority on social learning and culture in human and non-human primates.  This talk will also give an overview of what the talk series is about.

We have no BERG talks the following week as it is our mid semester break, but note:

27th October 2011 - "Putting our past into the present: the emerging field of evolutionary medicine" by Professor Gillian Bentley, Durham University.  Professor Bentley is a leader in this field in the UK.  Her theme is that many sources of our illness and health may be better understood using an evolutionary perspective, with the implications this yet to be fully recognised and exploited by modern medicine.

If you are planning to go please let us know at BERG in case a car share is possible. See here for how to get your ticket (£3).
http://rzss.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/living-links-to-human-health-mind-and-medicine/

Hannah

If you wish to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to the BERG mailing list please follow instructions here: