[BERG] Harry Harlow Lecture

Liz Williamson e.a.williamson at stir.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 11:46:54 GMT 2011

Dear BERGers,

I was astonished and dismayed to learn that someone in our group would dedicate anything to Harry Harlow, and I will not be attending these lectures.

To quote Robert Sapolsky in Scientific American:

“These [Harlow’s] were brutal studies, animals shattered by isolation. They made Harlow a pariah in many circles. Useful science was produced (though not nearly enough to justify the extent of what was done, in my opinion). Animals suffered unspeakably.

“He [Harlow] did ethically troubling work without seeming ethically troubled. He responded to feminist and animal-rights critiques with caustic hostility, dinosaurish misogyny and flaunted indifference to his animals. His writing was savage and crude: I recall being moved to tears and outrage by those papers as a student. (An example: females who were socially isolated as infants were inept at mating. How to get them pregnant, to study their subsequent maternal behavior? Harlow wrote, proudly, of his 'rape rack.')”

Sincerely,

Liz Williamson